Saturday, January 31, 2015

Roommate/Life Partner Profile: Interview with Kate

I've lived with Kate for 1 1/2 years and we've been pole vault family for a whole 5 years! Crazy! She blogs at http://kate-prayerblogging.blogspot.com/

Edit: Kate is officially weirder about food than me. She denies it, but she also just said "mmm I can smell that celery and it's just the best ever!"
What has your life been like lately?
It's been great. I've been going to yoga, and the chiropractor, and I haven't been eating refined sugar, and I've been waking up early and feeling ready to go. I don't know, is there anything else you want to know? Work is pretty fun. I'm much better at writing than speaking. And I really love hanging out with Elizabeth (Author's note: duh)

What makes you the most happy right now?
Um, the weather's been really great which makes me really happy, and... You know what's been really great? I've been doing this new bible plan, it's called the Change Your Mind plan (explanation: I'm doing the "Change your mind" plan: read a book of the Bible 20 times, then another, and another until you've read them all, read her blog for more info), and it's been transforming my mind and really just changing the way I think about life and the challenges it brings.

What are your weirdest food habits?
haha, hmm I really like raisins. And, I think dried apricots taste like candy. Are you asking for anything more specific? I thought these pancakes I made the other day were really sweet but Elizabeth didn't. I've also been eating beets. A lot. (Authors note: Kate only started eating beets this month and didn't know how to cook them). And I think smoothies with just beet greens and chia and bananas are really good, which is probably pretty weird.

Are there any habits or behaviors you started since living in Seattle/with me that you'd rather not have?
Nope I like them all. Living with you has been such a positive experience in my life. I don't think. I mean, I'm better about not being super early to stuff so.

If you could keep eating one "unhealthy" or sugar or non-vegan food right now and not feel guilty what would it be?
Mighty-O donuts 

What is your motivation for being vegan and cutting out a lot of processed foods?
Elizabeth really inspired me because you're (Elizabeth) always talking about health and nutrition and I felt like you were always secretly judging me (author's note: I wasn't), and then I read Rich Roll's book and it really changed his entire life and the way he ate. And then I read some more articles and books and decided to try it and I liked it. And then we watched Fed Up and I read a bunch more stuff. And you can't un-know these things, as you say.

Would you consider yourself a real vegan?
Yeah, I'd say so. I eat honey often enough and sometimes I eat things with a small amount of dairy in them. But I'd say I call myself a vegan. For diet anyway, I'm not a lifestyle vegan because that seems way too hard.

Do you feel like you exercise like crazy?
Not like crazy. I exercise every day. (note: multiple times.... I think everyone is a little jealous and concerned and impressed)

What in life annoys you most?
I really hate when people are late to things and I hate being late when it's not my fault. I'm not very easily annoyed right now so it's hard to think of things. 

What is most likely to bring your mood down?
Probably when my kids are just being really bad. Particularly my AAA's, but everyone knows they're bad so it's not just me.

If there was anything in your life you could change, either about yourself or your life situation, possible or impossible what would it be?
I would really love to get paid to like learn about nutrition and health and tell other people about it. That's what I wish my job was.
I wish all of my pants would just fit me. (Author's note: don't we all). And I also wish Target would sell XS underwear in the packets. They only sell small. It's so much cheaper to buy the packages instead of single pairs but the small are too big. So I would change that too.

Anything else you'd like to add?
Living with you has ushered in a number of positive changes in my life, really starting about a year ago. And ever since then, I just keep thinking it can't get better and then it does. I'm also really thankful that I've gotten less afraid of trying new things, cause I really used to hate that. I've tried a lot of new foods, and I tried ballet and I was the worst one which I hate and used to avoid but I did it and it was fun and I learned a lot. I also started going to group fitness classes and yoga which really freaked me out and the chiropractor, which both freaked me out a lot. It's been fun.

I really do like those pancakes though. They're probably my favorite pancakes I've had in a long time. Jordan was concerned because they didn't have chocolate chips but you know. We could always put raisins in... haha

5 comments:

  1. *We made the pancakes with two dates added and no sugar and they still tasted great. Even without maple syrup on top. So they really are the best pancakes ever.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ok but the dates weren't really in the batter because they didn't get blended in, but the bites with dates in them were super yum and fun

      Delete
    2. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
  2. I'm definitely more than a little jealous and concerned and impressed with Kate's exercising.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm definitely more than a little jealous and concerned and impressed with Kate's exercising.

    ReplyDelete