Sunday, January 25, 2015

Sugar on my Face

Only a week left until sugar's off the table for a WHOLE MONTH. Yikes. Kate and I had a very professional cleanse planning meeting last night, in which I basically just doodled and scribbled sideways over all the recipes. Then we drank wine and watched The Biggest Loser. It was a crazy Saturday in this house.

Even though I've decided to give up putting sugar in my body for a month, there is one place where I'm going to continue using raw honey: my face! I stopped using face wash, soap, shampoo and conditioner about 7 months ago, once all the mud was washed off from the 50k. This isn't the first time I've started washing my face with honey or no 'pooing as they call it, but I always stop for some reason or another. Usually travel or working in chlorine all the time. But I'm all in this time and I love it! I've added lots of links if you want more info.

What I do instead:

For soap/body wash: I try to dry brush pretty often, although I've been less good about it lately. I also make scrubs like this one and use those every once in a while for a good exfoliation and deep moisturizer. After I shower I use coconut oil mixed with some tea tree and lavender essential oils as a lotion, which is also antimicrobial and antifungal. Because I work with children who have ringworm and I need to kill germs on my skin.
This NY times article made me rethink my soap usage, but I don't think you need some fancy formula to neutralize your skin biome or whatever.

On my face: I warm up some honey in my hand and put it on my face (like this). Usually I leave it on for a few minutes before rinsing with water. So easy! If I shower in the morning I often use diluted apple cider vinegar (ACV) as a toner. At night I sometimes put my coconut essential oil mixture on my face to moisturize and try to keep pimples at bay. It usually works, and is a great makeup remover too!

For my hair: This no 'poo method. Basically I mix 1T baking soda with 1C water in a spray bottle, and use that on my scalp as shampoo. It doesn't suds but it does get slippery so I massage it into my scalp and then rinse. I mix 1-2T ACV in another spray bottle with 1C water, and spray that on the ends of my hair. I found that if I put it on my whole head my hair feels greasy. And it works! Most people like the feel and texture of their hair more once they switch, which isn't necessarily true for me, but it's still very shiny and easy to care for. The only difference is I really have to brush it. I used to just let my hair air dry and then run my fingers through it and it was good to go, but now I have to brush it when it's wet and again when it dries or it gets very frizzy If it does get frizzy, I rub coconut oil on my hands and then smooth down my hair). And the best news is I don't have to wash it as much! Only 1-2 times a week, depending on how much I sweat. I also have a job where ponytails are accepted and encouraged, so even if it does get a bit greasy at the end it's not a big deal.
If I've worked out and don't wash my hair, I usually just wash it with water and massage my scalp so dirt doesn't build up. It does get greasier faster this way, so that's when I'll wash my hair every 3-4 days instead of waiting a whole week.

So there you go! Once I got going it became a normal routine, and my showers are much shorter now! I feel just as clean as when I used body wash and I don't smell any different, I promise. 

No comments:

Post a Comment