Wednesday, May 1, 2013

Tanz in den Mai!

source
I can't believe it's already May! April really flew by. I know the rest of my time here will too! Today's a holiday here, and I was lucky enough to get the whole day off. I really didn't think that would happen! A lot of the villages around here have big parties called Tanz in den Mai - Dance into May. I saw signs for parties in Hannover too, but I don't think it's the same. It's more just an excuse to go out on a week night since there's no work today. I drove with Rachel and Maz to nearby Degersen. They had a big tent set up, with long tables, the bar, stage, and an area to dance. Since we got there pretty early we didn't have to wait in line too long. They were really strict about checing id's and bags and everything - they took both Rachel's and my water, unfortunately.  We also think we got charged more because the pre-booking tickets were sold out.
source

Some of Max's friends showed up for a little while, and then Laura, who was the au pair here before Rachel, and her boyfriend Nils, who was the apprentice here then, showed up with some of Nils' friends. It was so cold! After a while we couldn't stand it anymore so we had to get up and dance. The band was the JetLags, and they sang everything from 80's German Schlager hits, to 90's German hip hop and rap, to the Backstreet Boys and a few slightly more modern songs. They were pretty great, but it would have been even more fun if I was German and knew everything they were singing!

It's a beautiful first day of May, so I'm going to get out and enjoy it now!

No comments:

Post a Comment