Sunday, July 27, 2014

Pancakes and a Poem

or in other words, I couldn't sleep.

The other night I couldn't sleep, so I just opened my journal and started writing. Kate had made pancakes the day before, which I couldn't eat because they have sugar in them and I'm still in the middle of the Fed Up 10 Day No Sugar Challenge. (I will be getting everyone the DVD for Christmas. you're welcome)



So I had pancakes on my mind. I also wanted to use up the almond/hazelnut pulp leftover from making this caramel vanilla hazelnut milk, which was extremely delicious by the way. And I had bought buckwheat flour a while ago when it was way on sale but I've never actually made anything with buckwheat so I decided it was time. Normal flour would work too though! I didn't add sweetener but once I topped them with sliced bananas and some strawberry peach ginger chia seed jam, they were really good. Here it is:

topped with peanut butter and jam. buckwheat isn't the most photogenic flour...
Banana Peanut butter Buckwheat Pancakes
Makes 5-6 4" pancakes

1 cup buckwheat flour
1 t baking powder
1/2 t baking soda
1/2 t salt
1/2 banana
1/4 cup almond pulp (or almond meal, or the other half of the banana)
1 cup almond milk or other milk
1 T apple cider vinegar (optional)
1.5 T peanut butter
1 T coconut oil
1 t vanilla

optional -
2-3T liquid sweetener (honey, maple syrup, etc.)
1 T chia seeds

Add vinegar and chia seeds if using to almond milk, and set aside for a few minutes until the milk is curdled and the chia seeds have started to gel. Mash a banana in a medium bowl and add vanilla, peanut butter, coconut oil, almond pulp, sweetener if using, and the milk you set aside. Mix well. Add the remaining ingredients and mix. I added some unsweetened shredded coconut too just for fun.
Cook on medium heat. Buckwheat takes longer than normal pancakes so don't turn the heat too high or it will burn before the middle's cooked. I put a lid on the frying pan for a while to help it out.




I also wrote this enlightening poem. Enjoy.

Lavender
the calm
should put me to sleep
but really
it just makes my hair smell good

No comments:

Post a Comment