115k bike, 22k run. There was a short one and a long one, and lots of
foreign athletes were there for it. We've had some pretty steep climbs
over passes and have passed our highest point of the trip! 2770m - so
I guess it's all downhill from there! Although we might have wasted it
in the 50km of downhill we had to our next campsite, Bourg St Maurice.
We had 2 unlaoded climbs planned there, but it stormed so Matt and I went to an internet cafe in the morning and joined Dave for the 2nd climb. Of course it still poured on us. But other than that, we've had pretty good weather!
Here's where we've been since the last post:
|on the way to Charmonix|
- Bourg d'Oisans
- Le Rivier-d'Allemont
- Col du Glandon
- Col de la Croix de Fer - we watched the Tour de France go over this
- when we were in a cafe on our way to Paris the first day!
- St Jean-de-Maurienne
- Col de L'Iserans - our highest climb! 14km, up to 10% grade for the
- last couple km. We got to the top, and the temperature dropped 25° and
- it started pouring, so we put on our rain gear and made our way down
- Bourg St Maurice
- Les Arcs (unloaded climb)
- Cormet de Roselend (19km climb)
- Les Saisies
- Col de Saisies (15km climb)
- Notre Dame de Bellecombe
- Servoz - We met an Italian man named Joseph who lives here who showed us the way to get to Chamonix by bicycle, and then he made us spaghetti and let us use his internet and left us alone in his house while he went to the dentist!
- Saint Gervais les Bains
- Les Houches
- Chomonix Mont Blanc - we spent 2 nights here and hiked up to the Glacier and some ice caves with our day off
- Col des Montets
- and then we crossed into Switzerland!
- Col de Forclaz
- Martigny - we met 2 Americans who we happened to camp net to who were going from Amsterdam to Nice, and one of them graduated from Colby! The other one was 16, and they were both named Brian. We ate Swiss chocolate with them and watched all the fireworks going off for the Fête Nationale de Suisse. Then it turned into a real thunderstorm
- Èvian les Bains - where the original spring for Evian water is
- Yvoire - we ate Raclette in the old medieval city
Its hard to believe we only have 2 weeks left!