Monday, January 16, 2012

Molasses Oatmeal Bread

I've conveniently forgotten about this blog for a long time!
At my school, everyone has to be on a meal plan for 3 years. But since I'm a senior, I'm off the meal plan. So hopefully, that means I 'll have more recipes to share on this blog!

Classes don't actually start until tomorrow, but I've been back for a week.  A couple days ago, I was pretty bored so instead of working on job applications (don't remind me...) I decided to make some bread. My mom used to make this at home sometimes, and it's one of my favorites! I actually don't have a bread pan, so I just formed it in an oval before letting it rise the second time.

Molasses Oatmeal Bread

2 pkgs dry yeast
1/2 c. warm water
2 c. rolled oats
2T shortening
2 c. boiling water
1/4 c. molasses
4 t. salt
5 1/2-6 c. flour

Dissolve yeast in 1/2 c. warm water, set aside.  In a large bowl place oats & shortening and pour in boiling water;stir.  When lukewarm, stir in dissolved yeast and molasses.  Stir in enough flour to make dough firm.  Knead on a floured surface 5-8 minutes.  Place in greased bowl turning to grease top.  Cover, let rise about 1 hour.

Punch down dough, divide into 2 parts. Shape into rectangles.  Place in greased 9x5 bread pans, cover.  Let rise in warm place about 1 hour.  Optional: brush tops with one eggwhite that has been mixed with 1 t. water.  Sprinkle with 2 T oats. Bake at 400 F for 35-40 minutes until golden brown.  Remove from pans and cool.

It's really good with honey! But I also broiled some chipotle cheddar cheese on top of a slice, and that was good too. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment